Friday 15 May 2026 marks both the 78th anniversary of the Nakba—the mass displacement of Palestinians in 1948—and, in Gaza, another morning of airstrikes that medics tied to at least seven deaths. A Reuters report filed from Gaza, Jerusalem, and Cairo said Israel described the operation as aimed at Izz al-Din al-Haddad, whom Hamas watchers identify as the armed wing’s military chief in the Strip after Israel killed commander Mohammad Sinwar in May 2025; Hamas did not immediately confirm to the wire whether Haddad was killed, wounded, or absent.
What medics and civil defence described on the ground
According to the same Reuters dispatch, Gaza medics attributed at least seven fatalities—including three women and a child—and 50 or more wounded to two Israeli strikes: one against an apartment in Gaza City’s Rimal district, reportedly killing at least four people, and a second minutes later against a vehicle on a nearby street, killing three. Mahmoud Basal, a Gaza Civil Defense spokesperson quoted by Reuters, said hundreds of people had been sheltering in the targeted building and characterised the weapon impact as arriving without warning—language humanitarians often map to debates over proportionality and precautions under the laws of war, which this article does not adjudicate.
How Israel framed the target
In a joint statement carried by Reuters, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defence Minister Israel Katz called Haddad an “architect” of the 7 October 2023 attacks on Israel and said he “was responsible for the murder, abduction, and harm inflicted on thousands of Israeli civilians (and) soldiers.” The ministers did not assert that Haddad had been killed in the May 2026 strikes. Newsorga treats all battlefield identity claims as provisional until independently corroborated; readers should watch IDF communiqués and Hamas channels for later confirmations.
Why the calendar context matters politically
Because the violence coincided with Nakba Day, Palestinian political factions worldwide were already staging commemorations that frame displacement as an ongoing process rather than a closed 1948 file. A UN special meeting on the Nakba anniversary proceeded at headquarters the same day, underscoring how Gaza casualties ripple into diplomatic speeches even when the military facts on the ground remain contested. Arab News coverage of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas’s remarks at that forum linked Nakba memory to calls for international pressure on the Gaza crisis—parallel storylines that do not, by themselves, verify either side’s targeting narrative.
Military-diplomatic backdrop: post-October 2025 ceasefire friction
Reuters placed the Rimal operation in a wider pattern: Israel has intensified Gaza strikes in the roughly five weeks since it halted joint US–Israel bombing in Iran, refocusing airpower on the enclave where its military asserts Hamas is regrouping. Separately, Al Jazeera had cited reporting that Israeli attacks increased sharply after an 8 April 2026 pause in that Iran campaign—context readers can use to understand escalation narratives even when single-day tallies differ by source. The October 2025 US-backed deal Reuters references froze large-scale fighting after two years of war, yet troop withdrawal, disarmament, and reconstruction steps remain stalled; Donald Trump’s post-war Gaza plan is repeatedly described in wire copy as deadlocked between Israel and Hamas.
Humanitarian baseline the wire cited
The Reuters article also relayed cumulative figures—about 850 Palestinians killed in Israeli strikes since the October ceasefire, without combatant-civilian breakdown, and four Israeli soldiers killed by militants in the same window—alongside the observation that Hamas does not publish fighter losses. Those aggregates help scale risk for aid agencies routing food and medicine into southern Gaza’s compressed tent cities, but they cannot substitute for UN OCHA situational reports when those spreadsheets update.
Verification limits and safety notes
Independent confirmation of Haddad’s presence in either strike site was, at filing time, unavailable in open sources reviewed by Newsorga. Reuters video described in the wire showed flames in a heavily damaged tower and Palestinians removing at least one body in plastic sheeting—evidence of harm, not proof of targeting lawfulness. Social OSINT clips may lag or mislabel neighbourhoods; cross-check geolocation before amplifying.
What to watch next
- Israeli military after-action reviews or named-target confirmations.
- Hamas obituaries or leadership photographs if Haddad’s status becomes public.
- US State Department readouts on Gaza diplomacy tied to the Trump plan.
- UN Security Council meeting requests if fatality spikes continue and members table ceasefire language.
- UN OCHA situation reports when issued for revised casualty and displacement counts.
Bottom line
On Nakba Day 2026, Gaza medics attributed seven deaths and dozens of injuries to paired Israeli strikes in Rimal and on a neighbouring road, while Israel’s top civilian leaders said they were pursuing Hamas’s Gaza military chief Izz al-Din al-Haddad—without confirming a kill. The episode sharpens three simultaneous stories: Palestinian commemoration of mass displacement, Israel’s renewed air campaign after the Iran pause, and the stalled post-ceasefire political track. Newsorga will revise figures and responsibility claims as primary documents and UN monitors publish updates.
